8U FASTPITCH-Spring/Summer 2023
Eligibility: See Age Eligibility Chart
Overview: Developed to introduce girls to fastpitch, our 8U program teaches players the fundamental rules and skills of softball, including throwing, catching, hitting and base running. Pitching is done by a machine, which improves pitching accuracy and encourages hitting. There are three outs or five runs per inning (whichever comes first), no stealing, no leading off and no walks in order to allow girls more at bats and opportunities to improve their hitting. Extra base hits are allowed if the ball is hit to the outfield.
Official fastpitch jerseys (similar to the older level fastpitch teams) and socks are included with the registration fee.
In 2023, players interested in playing on the 8U A team will be required to attend tryouts on March 12.
Equipment Needed: Black softball pants (knicker style), batting helmet with cage, fielder's mask, bat, and softball glove.
Season Commitment: Mid-April through mid-July
- Two practices/week
- One game/week (doubleheaders start in June)
- Three tournaments/season:
- Tonka May Madness
- State Tournament
- Additional local tournament
- “A” level teams may decide to play an additional tournament, but at an additional cost
- Travel to various locations around the Twin Cities
- Fastpitch jersey and socks
- Optional post season play
- Tryouts for 8U A candidates
2023 Important 8U Spring Fastpitch Dates:
- Tryouts March 19 (for A team candidates)
- Week of April 10th (weather dependent) - Team Practices Start
- May 3 - Games Start
- May 20-21 - MGSA May Madness Tourney @ Legacy
- July 8-9 - State Tourney
- Post Season Play (optional)
We ask for players that want to join fastpitch to be dedicated to this sport. We want to keep our rosters small in order to get girls more playing time, but in order to do that, we need girls to be committed to softball during the season. We expect players to attend all practices and games.
8U FASTPITCH-Fall 2023
Eligibility: Fall Fastpitch Season is when girls age-up to the next level. The rules are the same as spring/summer ball (above), the season is short, and there is a strong focus on player development.
Fall 8U teams practice twice per week up until Labor Day, then only practice once a week once school starts until the state tournament (last weekend of September).
Like spring/summer, we operate under the MN Softball League, however unlike spring, competition adjusts each week based on your results from the prior week(s). Double Headers are on Saturdays and typically located in the southwest metro (EP, Hopkins, Wayzata, Chanhassen, Bloomington, etc.) There may be some longer travel days, but usually no more than 1/2 an hour drive (the league sets the schedule). You will not know who/when/where until about a few days prior to the games.
Tryouts: There are no tryouts for 8U fall. Teams will be formed by schools and friend requests
2023 Important 8U Fall Fastpitch Dates:
- Week of 8/14: Fall Practices Begin
- Double headers: 8/19, 8/26, 9/9, 9/16
- State Tournament (All Teams Qualify): 9/23